From log schoolhouse to our modern day brick:
An overview of our buildings
(Information assembled by Jarred Grant)
From the summer of 1817 to 1828 church services were held in the log schoolhouse on the farm of Timothy Burr, in 1828 the church built for itself a roughly constructed log meeting house, in February 1844 Milo Loomis and Jeremiah Higbee obtained a lease on “the site of the present church” and erected a building for the church.
In 1867 this meeting house was repaired and blinds were added. Also horse sheds were built for families who had to travel by horse and buggy or wagon. In 1871 the building underwent many changes. A basement was dug under the building to accommodate two good sized stoves; the high pulpit was torn out and a raised platform for the minister’s desk was made at the opposite end of the audience room; the seats faced the other way; raised seats for the choir were placed where the pulpit had formerly been and an organ was bought to aid in the music.
New Building 1895
Things remained this way, except for some changes in carpet, wallpaper, etc. until 1895. It was necessary for something to be done because the old building which had held services for 50 years was not large enough or convenient enough to suit the “modern” needs. After the usual amount of planning, proposing, and discussing, the new church building was erected during the summer of 1895 and dedicatory services were held October 12th and 13th. It is from this building in which all of our stained glass windows come from.